Springtime always makes me think of the sunny flavors of lemon and blueberry. The bright, tart lemon combines so well with the rich, fruity blueberry.
This recipe uses a mixture of almond flour, coconut flour and tapioca starch to make a gluten-free and grain-free muffin that is a little higher in protein and lower in carbs than a grain-based muffin. Using honey in place of white sugar adds in more minerals so it isn’t just empty calories.
Try these muffins for an Easter Sunday brunch or a weekend family breakfast. Leftovers can go in the freezer. On busy mornings just wrap one or two in foil or parchment and reheat in a 350 oven for ten minutes for a quick breakfast. Make a batch of homemade turkey sausage and keep that in the freezer, too, and you can have a hearty breakfast in no time.
Blueberry Lemon Paleo Muffins
4 large pasture-raised organic eggs
1/4 cup softened grassfed butter
1/4 cup honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
zest and juice of one lemon
1 1/4 cups finely ground blanched almond flour
2 Tablespoons coconut flour
1/2 cup tapioca starch
1 teaspoon aluminum-free baking soda
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 heaping cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line 12 muffin cups with parchment liners or spray with coconut oil spray.
Mix together the eggs, softened butter, honey, vanilla and lemon zest & juice in a mixer until well combined. In a separate bowl combine the dry ingredients (almond flour, coconut flour, tapioca starch, baking soda and salt). Add the dry ingredients into the mixing bowl with the wet ingredients and stir until evenly mixed. Add in the blueberries at the end and stir gently until they are evenly distributed. Divide the batter evenly into the muffin cups. Bake for 19-21 minutes, or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Remove muffins onto a cooling rack.
- 4 large pasture-raised organic eggs
- ¼ cup softened grassfed butter
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1¼ cups finely ground blanched almond flour
- 2 Tablespoons coconut flour
- ½ cup tapioca starch
- 1 teaspoon aluminum-free baking soda
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 heaping cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line 12 muffin cups with parchment or grease with butter or coconut oil.
- Mix together eggs, softened butter, honey, vanilla extract, zest & juice of lemon in a mixer until well combined.
- In a separate bowl combine the dry ingredients (almond flour, coconut flour, tapioca starch, baking soda, and salt).
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix well.
- Gently stir in the blueberries until evenly distributed.
- Divide the batter into the muffin cups, and bake for 19-21 minutes until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean.
- Remove from the pan onto a cooling rack.