I really liked this article on Radiant Life Company’s blog section all about the relationship between stress and homeostasis. You can read an explanation about homeostasis and its relationship to weight gain here. Apparently even when we are eating well, exercising, trying to do everything right, our weight loss efforts can still get derailed when we don’t manage our stress well.
Our bodies produce the stress hormone cortisol when faced with threats and dangerous situations. We also produce it when faced with traffic jams, screaming bosses, deadlines and other stressful situations. Constantly living on the edge and not dealing with these stresses can throw our health out of balance. The Radiant Life article gave 5 ways to rebalance that cortisol.
1. Take fish oil or cod liver oil to replenish vital nutrients. This is especially helpful when paired with vitamin K2.
2. Learn how to breathe properly and deeply. Read how here.
3. Maintain healthy magnesium levels in your body. Eat magnesium-rich foods like properly prepared whole grains, nuts and seeds; kelp and dulse; nutritional yeast; dried coconut; raw milk; or vegetables such as collards, sweet potatoes, beets, broccoli and eggplant. Use magnesium supplements or magnesium oils or salts.
4. Supplement with B vitamins, especially B5, to slow down secretion of cortisol.
5. Try earthing – reconnecting with the earth through walking barefoot outdoors, swimming in lakes and oceans and other activities that give skin-to-earth contact.